1. Country music. I tried explaining to a friend of mine how the folks who like country music in the states tend to be some of the folks who don't like Obama, but he could not see any conflict of interest between sweet cowboy tunes and Obamacare. It's a fair criticism of our strange American bipolar political culture.
2. Red Bull. The new coca-cola?
3. Skinny jeans. Considering that some fashions seem a bit behind (e.g. blouses from the eighties and wide-leg men's slacks from the nineties), skinny jeans seem to not have missed a beat getting to Tanzania.
4. Heels. Seriously? You walk down THAT road in THOSE shoes? Wedges or flats would be much more appropriate.
5. Smart phones. I have approximately the same portion of friends with smart phones here in Tanzania as I do in the states.
6. Nairobi. With a quickly growing tech industry, a more bearable climate than Dar es Salaam and a short bus ride north, the Kenyan capital is a hot spot for Tanzanian business.